How to adopt an animal from VAO:
- See what animals are available.
You can view available cats & dogs on our website or visit the shelter to see if any of our animals might be a good fit for your family. A visit is also a good time to talk to one of our staff members about what kind of pet you’re looking for.
- Complete an application.
Our adoption application helps us learn about your lifestyle, so we can match you with the perfect pet. Pick one up at the shelter, or complete the online form here on our website.
- Attend a “meet” with pets and/or people.
We’ll want to have your potential pet meet others you currently own, or any family members they haven’t met yet. We want to make sure everyone gets along!
- We approve the application; you sign the agreement.
Once your application is approved we’ll walk you through the contents of the adoption agreement. After signing it, you’ll be given a copy, along with documentation of your pet’s known medical and behavioral history. You’ll need these to take good care of your pet!
- That’s it!
All of our animals are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, and ready to go home!
We also have feline residents available for adoption at PetSmart in Marlton and PetValu in both Cherry Hill and Voorhees.
Adoption fees help defray the cost of caring and feeding for the animals, as well as vet medical care.
- Puppies (6 months and under): $300
- Adult Dogs (7 months and older): $200
- Senior Dogs (7 years and older): $75
- Dogs at the shelter for 6 months or more: $100
- Kittens (6 months and under) $100
- Adult Cats (7 months and older): $65
- Senior Cats (7 years and older): $50
- Cats at the shelter for 6 months or more: $30
Senior citizens (humans 65 and older) and military personnel receive a 25% discount on adoption fees.